Monday, April 5, 2010

Project Glacier


This week I was in Patagonia! For those who don't know, Patagonia is basically home of glaciers, hiking or "trekking" as they call it here, animals and lots of other outdoorsy stuff. It's also absolutely gorgeous everywhere you look. I went with two girls from my program, Charlotte and Lindsey. We got there on Tuesday around noon and went to our hotel in El Calafate, the main town in Patagonia. Since our plan was to go to the Perito Moreno glacier the next day (the main glacier/tourist attraction around there), we decided to take it easy Tuesday and hung out around Calafate. We were all really enjoying being out of the city and breathing in the fresh, clean Patagonia air.

Wednesday morning we got up to hit the glacier bright and early. It's an hour drive from Calafate to the glacier. When we paid for the hotel, it included transportation to and from the glacier so we had a car come pick us up. We stopped at one point to get out and take pictures because it was just so beautiful.


When we got there, we decided to take a boat ride that takes you up close to it. The boat ride was full of tourists but it was still incredible. I was amazed at how blue the glacier was. I guess I didn't know what to expect but it was full of all different shades of blue.


After the boat ride, our car took us to the "balconies," a series of stairs you can walk on that take you to different views of the glaciers. I'm pretty sure this wasn't still Perito Moreno glacier, but a bunch of different glaciers.


The next day, we decided to go horseback riding! I hadn't really been horseback riding before so I was a little nervous...ok, a lot nervous. But overall it was really fun and SO beautiful.




Anyway, that was my trip to Patagonia in a nutshell. It was really nice to get out of the city for a few days and be in such gorgeous scenery. Now, as I'm sure everyone that's reading this blog knows, my parents arrive today! They will be here today, Monday the 5th, through the 17th. I'm so excited!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun adventure! I hope you're enjoying your parental visit at least as much as Kate did. :)

    ReplyDelete