Well, here I am in Buenos Aires! I'm very excited to be sitting in my room in my family's apartment with working internet. Success!
After we arrived at the airport, the IFSA staff greeted us and whisked us away in taxis to our host families. They gave us a packet with an orientation schedule and a slip of paper with our host family's address on it to give to the taxi driver. There's no orientation activities until tomorrow morning, which I think is good so we can just rest and get settled in our houses today. My taxi driver was really nice! We were talking in Spanish and that's when it hit me that I'm in Argentina and will have to be speaking Spanish all the time. I have to say it was difficult understanding him, but when he spoke slowly and in short sentences I could do ok.
When I arrived at the apartment, my host parents, Haydee and Toto, greeted me warmly with hugs and kisses on the cheek. The apartment is very cute. The living room and the balconies are filled with plants and flowers, a hobby of my host mom's. Both of them seem to really want me to feel at home and have shown me around the apartment. It's sometimes hard to understand them but I can usually get the gist of what they're saying. I'm also trying to get used to speaking Spanish again. I find that I stumble a lot over my words when I try to speak, so it comes out not sounding very fluid. I'm hoping this will improve as I get more used to speaking it all the time.
Unfortunately, the weather is one thing that is not so great. It's really really humid (remember, it's summer here) and there have been huge thunderstorms throughout the day. Luckily my flight wasn't affected and my plan for the day anyway is to shower, unpack and rest. Tomorrow, orientation starts. Bye for now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ahhh SO jealous that you're speaking Spanish...god i can't wait for the inevitable hilarious stories of misunderstanding/discovery! lovee
ReplyDeleteYay. The adventure continues. Love the blog!
ReplyDelete